Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

* 2011-07-10T13:57:47+02:00 * Stephan Seitz wrote:

> Well, with IPv4 you have NAT, simply because you mostly don’t get more
> than one IPv4 address from your provider.
>
> With IPv6 your provider should give you a network (at least /64
> meaning you have 2^64 - 1 hosts), because there is no NAT support for
> now. If you use randomized IPv6 addresses, your provider will have
> some problems to count your systems. But if he analyzes the traffic
> and does a deep packet inspection, he will be able to do so. But this
> can happen with IPv4 and NAT as well.

Interesting. I have a network printer which I, quite naturally, plug
into my NAT/router so it's in my private 192.168.0. network with my
desktop and laptop computers. I'm not sure if the printer even supports
IPv6 but for now let's assume that it does. How would this kind of
setting fit into a pure IPv6 world? Of course I want my printer to be
still private and not available to the whole Internet. I need some kind
of private network. How will I build that?