Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

Thanks to all who responded!  I'll probably respond to several of those
posts because I didn't mention the other thing I get from NAT--that is,
I need only one address from my ISP, and I'm pretty sure my doesn't
know how many computers I have behind my NAT gateway.

I guess I'd assume that if someone writes a NAT66, it will give me the
same feature, but if that doesn't happen, what are my options?

One more comment below:

On Sunday 10 July 2011 06:09:23 am Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 17:14:21 -0400, Randy Kramer wrote:
> > I just saw another question about IPv4 and NAT and IPv6, and that
> > prompts this question:
> >
> > When I switch to IPv6, will I lose the ability to keep my computers
> > behind a NAT gateway?
>
> Not necessarily. There are some drafts for NAT66 (IPv6 to IPv6 NAT).
>
> > It's probably not the best thing, but I depend on the NAT gateway
> > for a lot of my security--with IPv6, will I still be able to do
> > that?
>
> NAT and security do not match. You better put a good firewall and/or
> IPS system in between ;-)

Hmm, I need to knock on some wood--wait, I can knock on my head--that is
about the same ;-)  So far, NAT seemingly has provided pretty good
security for me.

Randy Kramer