Re: Restarting network

On Thu 07 Jul 2011 at 20:45:54 +0100, Joe wrote:

> But presumably at boot, all interfaces, whether auto or not, are
> successfully started, and presumably properly closed down on shutdown.

When booting, interfaces marked 'auto' are brought up by scripts in
/etc/init.d. However, interfaces marked 'allow-hotplug' are brought up
by scripts run by udev. The end result is (or should be) the same but
the mechanisms are different.

Interfaces marked with neither are not activated.

> Is there no command-line access to whatever mechanism does this? Do we
> really need to keep a list of current interface names on a sticky
> note on the monitor and ifup them individually?

ifup/ifdown will always do what their names imply. You would need to
have knowledge of the interfaces on your machine to use the commands. A
sticky-note might help. :)

The point which the OP raised was the purpose of /etc/init.d/networking
(or perhaps, like me, he was puzzled by the use of the word
'deprecated).  It sounds as though it will enable all interfaces. It
doesn't, unless they are marked 'auto',

So - some lateral thinking. Mark every interface (apart from lo) auto
*and* 'allow-hotplug'. '/etc/init.d/networking restart' or
'/etc/init.d/networking start' would now work. Does that address your
query?

There are two schools of thought about this. One is that it is bad, the
other is that it is ok.