Re: Restarting network

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 17:20:05 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu 07 Jul 2011 at 15:42:14 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
> > Having made some config changes to my network, I did:
> >
> > root@tony-lx:/home/tony# /etc/init.d/networking restart
> >
> > That results in:
> >
> > Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
> > not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
> > Reconfiguring network interfaces...
> >
> > OK, so it's deprecated. What should I use instead??
>
> '/etc/init.d/networking restart' will only act on interfaces which are
> marked 'auto' in /etc/network/interfaces. The same applies to
> stop/start.
>
> All your interfaces are marked 'auto'? Go ahead and use the networking
> script.

But presumably at boot, all interfaces, whether auto or not, are
successfully started, and presumably properly closed down on shutdown.
Is there no command-line access to whatever mechanism does this? Do we
really need to keep a list of current interface names on a sticky
note on the monitor and ifup them individually?

Absolutely no offence meant at all to anybody, but that sounds a bit...
well... retrograde.

--
Joe