Re: Game for toddlers

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 08:51:20PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you have any *first hand experiences* of games available in Debian
> that toddlers of 2 to 4 can enjoy?
>
> Or, a bit OT, your *first hand experiences* of online games for toddlers
> please?
>
> I found my child extremely slow in picking up the idea of the games --
> she is over 4 and can barely play with mouse, let alone keyboard.

gcompris -- My son started playing it at 2 years old.  My daughter
wasn't really interested until she was almost 4.  There is a "mouse and
keyboard" section which builds the basic skills of moving the mouse,
clicking, dragging, using the keyboard, etc.  It's great for beginners.

childsplay -- This has less games than gcompris, but it's perhaps a
little less overwhelming.  It's big drawback is (last time I used it),
you need to read in order to quit the game.  Gcompris lets you quit
"visually" by clicking an icon.

tuxpaint -- My kids really like this, especially the stamps.  It's like
Gimp for children.  A very good program, once they have mouse skills.

tuxmath, tuxtype -- These both have beginner levels that only require
the child to type the number or letter that they see on the screen.
They can move to mathematics and spelling when they are ready.

ktuberling -- It's "Mr. Potato Head" for the computer.  Requires
dragging and dropping with the mouse.

gedit -- Both of my kids liked being able to type letters and see them
come up on the screen.

That's all I can think of right now.

P.S.  Be sure to give the kids their own accounts, because they will
drag panels all over the screen, add countless "Untitled Folder"s to
the desktop, etc.  My kids also liked the idea of having a secret
password to log in.  I used our last name, so they could practice
spelling it.

-Rob