Re: Start rtorrent on bootup in Squeeze

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:36:34PM +0200, Nicolas Bercher wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 19:17, Joey Hess wrote:
> > That is unnecessarily complicated. You can instead use an @reboot
> > cron job, which can be set up using crontab -e by any user without
> > root. For example:
> >
> > @reboot screen -d -m -S rtorrent rtorrent
> OK, this sounds really interesting.  I've always been thinking of crontab to trigger
> things periodically.  I wanted to ask you for a man page reference but found it before
> this mail leave my computer: man 5 crontab.
>
> You're right, it is far more simple: no root privileges required, no lock file, no su -,
> no long script to debug.  And rtorrent is is the kind of app that only needs to be started
> once and live its life.
>
> I can actually see two little cons:
>   1. no "easy way" to stop rtorrent, but that's not a big deal (any kill/pkill command
> could do the job for example, just like my script does it),
>   2. since I like to track my scripts & configs, I massively use git and/or svn and I
> really love the "one file per functionnality" way of manipulating things.  Via crontab,
> everything is just mixed up into /var/spool/cron/crontabs/<username> and this hard to
> track and even (afaik) to maintain in a quite automatic way.
>
> However, I will reconsider the use of my sys-v scripts (I wrote two others sys-v scripts
> for svnserve (Subversion) & git-daemon).
>
> But in the end, this is so sad!  I learned many things while writing these scripts!  (ok,
> I'll have time for new things to learn!)
>
> Thank you,
> Nicolas

IMHO this is the best way to run screen at boot:

http://rpatterson.net/blog/screen-sessions-at-boot

No root needed. Configurable... what else one may need? In every
user's screen.rc you can specify what apps user need to be started in
windows - rtorrent in your case. I tried this and it works perfectly.
I use it for my 'homemade' poor-man's multimedia centre. An old pc
running Debian, rtorrent, mediatomb and newsbeuter. Newsbeuter is
used track eztv rss for new episodes and download torrent files in
rtorrent watch directory. After download of episode finished -
rtorrent send mail to my mobile operator mail2sms service and I get
sms on my mobile that new episode is here and ready to be watched.

Both rtorrent and newsbeuter are inside screen session started at
boot time.

Best Regards,
yra

--
All texts and all ideas expressed by me
in this  message are covered  by CC-BY-NC-SA-3.0.