Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

On 03/07/11 04:15, T Elcor wrote:
> --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> wrote:

<snipped>

> Yes, I missed the step 2. Now I've tried it and the "File Manager -
> Super User Mode" behaves seemingly in the same non-functional way,
> that is, shows up in the bottom launch panel like it's starting up,
> hangs there for about 15 secs, then shuts down/disappears. But it
> doesn't work.

Well, at least the problem is consistent :-)

<snipped>

>> -r)??
>>>
>>> # uname -a Linux testbox 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jan
>> 12 03:40:32
>>> UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Is that yes??
>
> Yes, I'm running squeeze.

Thanks

>> Please post the entire, unmodified /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list # # deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux
> squeeze-di-rc2 _Squeeze_ - Official Snapshot amd64 NETINST Binary-1
> 20110121-20:07]/ squeeze main
>
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main ## add non-free to
> install:  unrar deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze
> non-free # security updates deb http://security.debian.org/
> squeeze/updates main
>
> # Optionally install sources #deb-src
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main #deb-src
> http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

Looks normal - I was just checking in case you were using mixed
repositories....

>> Also the output, if any, of:- $ dpkg --get-selections sudo
>
> $ dpkg --get-selections sudo No packages found matching sudo

And yet you say it "was" originally enabled... (?) :-/

>>> I remember there was a way to access "Run as a
>> different
>>> user" functionality from the Alt+F2 feature (when you
>> click on the
>>> "wrench") but now it seems to have gone.
>>
>> ??
>
> By the wrench I mean an icon that resembles the wrench, you can see
> it on the left side of the Alt+F2 window. As I remember, a while ago
> it was possible to run an app through Alt+F2 and specify "Run As a
> different user" settings. Once you selected an app to run you'd click
> on the similar looking "wrench" icon next to the selected app and it
> would open a new window where you'd specify "Run As a different user"
> settings. Now I can no longer find a way to do that. Perhaps they
> removed that plugin or whatever from Alt+F2.

If I type konqueror into it - a drop-down list appears with konqueror in
it - on the right-hand side of it is the wrench icon you refer to.
http://ge.tt/9pOmkd5/v

>> It seems generally that your paths must be wrong since it is
>> installed. What is your $PATH and can a KDE user compare to their
>> own?

That was someone else's statement, not mine. Not saying it's incorrect,
just that the thread is muddled.

> $ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
>

> Thanks

For comparison, mine:-
$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
$ groups
scott disk dialout cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev mlocate powerdev
vboxusers clamav

root's:-
# echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

Regrettably I don't have time to pursue this at present.
Some suggestions (shooting in the dark):-

# dpkg-reconfigure libkdesu5 (the same with any other relevant packages
likely to be misconfigured)

Check /var/mail/user_name, /var/log

Examine /etc/login.defs and /etc/pam.d for problems
If you can determine "when" you lost the ability then examining dpkg
logs might give you some clues.

If, after that you're still stymied, enable su logging in
/etc/login.defs and try using su. Eg.:-
$ su
Then check the su log.

NOTE: kdesu no longer appears to be used, instead kde makes use of
kdesu_stub

refs:- man kdesu_stub

Good luck.

--
“You know, there were rumours
of anti-Castro pigeons seen drinking in bars...