Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 22:18:32 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 10:57:15AM +0000, Camaleón wrote: ...
>> I only have 2 users in my debian box: me and root.
>
> You can create new account from GUI, too.

Yes, and I was just talking from my POV and a concrete scenario. I know
how dangeours can be running applications and the whole session from a
root account.

>> When I need to test if there is a configuration issue with the browser
>> (or my Gnome profile), I launch it as root because it has an almost
>> empty firefox profile.
>>
>> And it is also understandable that new users prefer to edit some files
>> with Kwrite or Gedit instead by using another command line tools,
>> though not a perfect way to make things. New users will learn this in
>> their way to linux...
>
> Goof to hear, it is purely for testing.  maybe I was worried too much.

And your remainder to avoid it as much as possible is a very good advice
we should not forget :-)

> But, if so, why not create an dummy user account?  And use it for
> testing.  It is a very good way to test upgrade issues with local
> configuration data.  By using dummy account, removing it is very easy
> and will not cause lasting issues for your root account.

I agree. On my testing machines I have setup many user accounts, besides
the root and the usual one, each of one holding different setups and
layouts (differenet locales, different desktop environments...).

But there can be still the need, of let's say, launching gedit to make a
change on a configuration file or running a program as root to discard a
permissions issue and here, using a plain user account won't help.

But again, I fully agree with your view, these have to be expecional
cases -to make a quick test or when specific problem arises- and should
not be done unless stricly need it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón