Re: Can't run apps as root in KDE

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:42:13 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 12:07:25PM -0700, T Elcor wrote:

>> Am having problems running KDE apps as root.

(...)

> I do not know about exact reason why but...
>
> Generally, it is bad idea to run desktop application as root.  So
> application system may put some checks and prevent you to run as root.
> This is due to security concern.

There can be zillion of reasons to run an application as root so I hope
this options is still available.

It is also possible to run a full DE session under root, but that's
another story.

> Why do this?  I see no reason to overcome this security measure.

What security measure? Can you please expand that? Is there something at
kde that changed and users need to know? Since years I've been instructed
in running "kdesu" or "gksu" as the recommended way for doing it so,
what's wrong with this? Is there a new tool that supersedes it?

> FYI:
> If you are doing this for debug purpose, you can change user on console
> using su or sudo under proper configuration done from root.  When
> switching to root, you need to preserve environment to get connected to
> X, as you might have known.

Running a X app after "su -" has been failing for some time, I'm afraid
this is not an option anymore.

stt008:~# firefox
Error: no display specified

stt008:~# LANG=POSIX; gedit
cannot open display:
Run 'gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón