Re: C compiler cannot create executables no good google answers

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 03:17:44PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm trying to compile emacs-24 on a newly installed squeeze system.
>
> I get the error  C compiler cannot create executables
>
> Googling on that, gets several different answers.
>
> apt-get install build-essentials  (didn't didn't help)
>
> apt-get install g++  (didn't help)
> apt-get install libc-dev  (didn't help)
>
> checking `aptitude search gcc|less'  I see too many pkgs to start
> guessing what I need.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need for the compiler to work building emacs?

You sounds like doing this for learning and trying to build upstream
tarball, read the source is my official answer.

But there are easier way to get some feel if recent upstream changes are
small or just rebuilding.  You can use debian package as good start
(replace upstream part source as needed).  For this, Understanding of
how to build Debian package may be good start.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_porting_a_package_to_the_stable_system

$ apt-get build-dep foo

installs dependency.  This gives you some idea.  You can backport 2.33
in unstable archive to stable system by this way.  isnt this easiest?

Osamu