Re: weird dhclient problem

On 1 July 2011 02:08, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu 30 Jun 2011 at 08:33:47 +0800, wolf python london wrote:
>
>>     # The primary network interface
>>     allow-hotplug eth0
>>     #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>>     iface dsl-provider inet ppp
>>     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
>>     provider dsl-provider
>>     iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>>     As you can see, the last line "iface eth0 inet dhcp" means I can
>>     get an ip via ifupdown and still use the dhcp to configure eth0.
>
> Why use dhclient when 'iface eth0 inet dhcp' does it all for you? Not
> that it's forbidden but what is the purpose?

my fault! I thought the "pppoe" had nothing to do with the dhclient so
I leave it out .

Here I can connect to the internet via PPPOE, so when I want to access
the intranet ,
I can cut the PPPOE connect and use dhclient to get an ip and netmask
(not at boot time)

> The pre-up line is also puzzling. What is it meant to achieve that
> 'iface eth0 inet dhcp' doesn't? The commented portion  at the end of the
> line is not allowed in /e/n/i. Please see the manual for ifupdown.
yes , this line is maintained by PPPOE , and I have use it for nearly
ONE year , in Lenny & Squeeze,
to be honest ,it's added by the PPPOE(I haven't modified it yet).

I paste the /e/n/i in Squeeze here(http://pastie.org/2147825), the
difference is I set Squeeze's ppp0 interface up at boot time.
And the dhclient in Squeeze is fine . Actually in  Wheezy (& Sid) , it
was fine ,but after upgrade , it sucks .

> Neither may be the cause of your perceived problem but end of line
> comments can lead to trouble.

Maybe , I'll have a try .

> The arp table after using dhclient (presumably ifup has run) being
> incomplete may have something to do with the nature of the gateway
> router but that's a wild guess.

dhclient way cannot get the gateway's MAC address, while ifupdown can
do . Maybe that's the problem .
> There should be no difference between auto and allow-hotplug for the
> interface. But try it and see.

ok, have a try and check it out .
Thanks , Brian.