Re: Headless Install Debian Squeeze

On 30/06/11 23:00, Martin McCormick wrote:
> Scott Ferguson writes:

<snipped>
NOTE: First I answer your questions, then, further down I give a guide
to a console/ssh install. Read through before begining.

> The drive stops and there is probably that GUI screen present. Is
> that when you hit Arrow down?

Yes.
When drive stops you are at the gui.
Press the down arrow three times.
Then press Enter.
You will then be at the traditional text install screen.
For what you want to do there are two choices for the first installation
flag:-
install OR expert

Install - will give you a limited set of choices.
Expert - will give you considerable choices. It will also give you a lot
of messages hence the loglevel parameter in the suggested install.

NOTE: there are also braille tty, speakup, and high contrast parameters
available.
ref:- kernel-parameters.txt

<snipped>

> This is extremely helpful. You also said something else which is very
> interesting:
>
>> If using ssh it's probably best to use a pre-seed file.
>
> Does the CD start a network session? I can certainly ssh in to it
> from another system if it does. That is even better than a serial
> console if I can get a command-line install that way.

Off the top of my head I can't tell you how to do that tonight.
I've only done an ssh install using chroot and debbootstrap.
However if you're in a hurry - here's how to use a console to start the
ssh install:-
boot from cd
wait till disk stop spinning
arrow down three times
enter once
type "expert vga=normal fb=false console=ttyS0,9660n8 loglevel=5"
enter once (should hear disk spinning)
from your other machine:-
after about 1 minute you'll be at the first screen
enter once
you'll be at the Select language screen
enter once (to select English)
you'll be at the Select location screen, default is United States - use
the arrows to select a language
enter once
you'll be at the Configure locales screen, default is utf.8 for the
location chosen earlier, arrows to select
enter once
you'll be at the additional locales screen, at the top of a long list,
arrows to choose, space bar to select, select as many or few as you
wish, tab to move to continue button
enter once
you'll be at the keyboard layout selection screen, default is pc style,
other choice is kernel keymap, arrows to select another choice
enter once
you'll be at the keymap layout selection screen, default is American
English, arrows to select another choice
enter once to detect and mount CD (very fast)
tab and enter (wait 30 seconds)
tab and enter (wait 60 seconds for CD to be scanned)
enter
enter
press the down arrow 14 times
space
tab
You have just selected network install using ssh and the
installer is now retrieving additional components - wait two minutes
enter (wait one minute to detect network hardware)
enter
you are now at the configure network screen, default is dhcp, (tab to
select no in order to set a static address)
enter (for dhcp, wait 30 seconds)
you are at the hostname screen, default is debian, tab to move to the
continue button
enter
you are at the domain name screen, tab to move to the continue button
enter
enter (wait 30 seconds while a ssh key is generated)
enter your ssh password
tab to the continue button
enter
enter your ssh password again
tab to the continue button
enter
the current screen give the ip address of the machine you are installing
to. The username is installer. The screen will also display the ssh
fingerprint.
log in to the installer via a console:-
ssh installer@ip_address_from_screen

Cheers - if it breaks you get to keep both pieces :-)

--
"This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of
the loop.