Re: Ethernet connection weirdly not working mornings

On Wed 29 Jun 2011 at 21:09:18 -0700, John Magolske wrote:

> Thanks for the replies all. I feel the issue must have to do with how
> this particular ThinkPad is set up, as my other Debian laptop has
> no problem connecting via ethernet. And now the ethernet-challenged
> machine is not connecting in the evening either (well, this evening
> anyhow...), only the wifi connection works ATM.

Can we discount the time of day factor?

> Neither interface is brought up.

We expect that for wlan0 because neither auto nor allow-hotplug is used
with it. But . . .

> % ifconfig -a
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr **:**:**:**:**:**
>           BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

At the very least the second line should read

	    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

The eth0 interface is not being activated. There is no chance of getting
an address via dhcp or statically. Could this be a driver problem?

> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300

The 82567LM appears to be supported in the kernel by the e1000 module.
Is it on the system?

   locate e1000

Is it loaded on booting?

   lsmod | grep e1000

Anyone else on the Net with the same machine as you and having no problem with
eth0?