Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

I definitely said the above. I didn't realize that this was what
Camaleon was referring to; sorry.

> LILO is being maintained again, so those of us who don't yet want to use GRUB
> 2 and are being firmly told that it is almost immoral to want easy access to
> GRUB 1 since it is not being maintained, will obviously have to use LILO. ;-)
>
> And yes, I would exepct to be able to get access to all three if the expert
> install is chosen.  Except...  Except that volunteers will do what they are
> happy to do.  And if you don't like what they do, you just have to do it for
> yourself or pay someone else to do it for you.
>
> So the argument that those who write the installer have a right to decide what
> they put in it is incontrovertible.  But the argument that newbies might have
> trouble with something is a poor excuse for not putting something in the
> expert install.

I don't think that anyone in this thread suggested that using grub1
and insisting on using grub1 is "almost immoral" but it's an
entertaining viewpoint! :)

Instead of looking at this from the perspective of a user who doesn't
want to change bootloaders and wants to have all possible options
available at install time and later, look at this from the perspective
of Debian as a project. Do you really want the grub maintainers to
split their time and energy between maintaining a bootloader that's
being actively developed and its previous iteration, which has been
EOL'd by upstream? Even though I prefer grub1's setup and consider it
more than good enough for my purposes, I'm glad that it's been dropped
from d-i (I doubt that the d-i developers took this decision without
consulting others, including the grub maintainers) and I look forward
to the time that grub1's removed from the repositories because that'll
show that the resources of Debian as a project are being well managed.

I don't use Debian on the desktop so I don't keep track of the
evolution of DEs, but there must've been a decision at some point to
drop KDE 3 and there'll be a decision at some point to drop GNOME 2.
It's normal to upgrade a distribution's components and follow in the
footsteps of upstream as long as stability isn't compromised (and it
isn't in grub2's case).