Re: Experience of Debian in a Macbook pro

On 2011-06-28 19:20, Dan wrote:
> But I do not like that their hardware is so closed. I read somewhere
>  that linux has to boot in BIOS compatibility mode because Apple do
> not release everything about their EFI loader.

EFI has been invented by Intel and will be used by lots of manufacturers
in the near future. Maybe your current machine uses it and you don't
know it? ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Platforms_using_EFI.2FUEFI

EFI is nothing strange to Linux, elilo supports it since long and Grub
does, too.

http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnEFI

The use of rEFIt is just very easy, this is why so many are using it.
And having the MacOS in a small partition on your disk doesn't hurt IMO.
On the other hand it can be very useful, e.g. when Apple rolls out EFI
upgrades for you Mac.

HTH, ändu