Re: Experience of Debian in a Macbook pro

Hi there,

On 25 June 2011 23:17, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to buy a laptop. And I love the Macbooks pro. But I will
> mainly run Debian. Is it worthy to buy a mac to run Debian?

Now that's a good question! I got my first Mac in January because I
wanted to check out what all the fuzz was about and to see what's down
to hardware and what's down to Mac OS when praise is given to Macs
that they are "so wonderful".

Some things that I really like about the Macbook Pro, is the build
quality, the microphone, the sound & the screen. Looking at your
holiday photos using a Mac makes the colours look brighter and people
you talk to on Skype may tell you that you sound better :-)

Now, the question: would I do it again? I am really not sure.
Considering the price tag, I think the next time I'll pick another
laptop where I can get better specs for the price of the Macbook Pro.

> Do you have a good experience running Debian in a Mac?

I've written down what I did to get things running here:
http://tkj.freeshell.org/debian/debian-on-macbook-pro-7.1/ There were
some tricky corners and one notable difference from the Ubuntu
recipes, but all in all it was a fairly smooth ride and much easier
than I thought it would be.

After sorting the different things out, the only real annoyance I've
still got, is that my xmodmap keep resetting after "some time". I
don't know why, but every so often (5 minutes? 10 minutes? half an
hour, I don't know), my re-mapped keyboard (most notably, I want Meta
instead of the Mac key), jumps back to "normal". Also, I found the
multi touch driver to be pretty buggy, but perhaps a recent update
(the last months) have remedied this.

Apart from that, Debian runs great on my Mac.

Cheers,

-Torstein