Re: Running Squeeze on a 2 GB usb stick?

On 06/27/11 at 09:17pm, Mark wrote:
> Hi - I have a work laptop with Windows and since it tracks basically
> everything I do, I'd like to install Squeeze to a 2 GB usb stick I have
> laying around so I can boot to that instead of the internal hdd for personal
> use.  I plan on doing the Expert Install and was wondering if there is
> advice on recommended packages other than the base system for my given
> circumstances?  Here's what I was thinking of installing in addition to the
> base system:
>
> -GParted
> -gedit
> -Iceweasel
> -Synaptic Package Manager
> -Update Manager
> -Network Manager (or wicd)
> -A few things under Preferences like Appearance, Screensaver, Power
> Management
>
> Am I silly to think I'll be able to do this on 2 GB?  The laptop has 4 GB
> RAM so I'm not worried about swap space.

Gnome and it's ilk are not size-friendly (or anything-friendly, in my opinion,
but that's a different rant..). My estimates say it may barely fit, but I think
your only sure way of knowing is to try it and see.

If you want suggestions on lightweight systems, plenty of listers can reply. My
desktop installed base is around 1G, and that's with all the various desktop
utilities I use. I don't use any of the programs you mention, however (except
Iceweasel)

--
Liam