Re: Iceape's inability to render sites

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 03:40:19PM -0700, Lotek wrote:
> On 06/26/2011 11:48 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> >I'm having trouble with Iceweasel's inability to correctly render
> >sites that use java. This includes my bank and broker which
> >prevents me
> >from making Squeeze my primary distro. Running "locate jre" turns up
> >a bunch of files including gcj-4.4-jre related ones, so I assume I have
> >java runtime installed (I'm also *assuming* it's a java problem). I've
> >also tried, at various times and in various combinations, sun-java6-jre,
> >sun-java6-plugin, openjdk-6-jre, and icedtea6-plugin, all to no avail.
> >I'm beginning to wonder if this really is a java problem.
>
> A few months ago I had a similar problem with the Iceweasel
> in Lenny, and I think it probably was due to it not being able
> to render Javascript correctly.  I have a number of browsers
> installed, so I tried Chrome and it worked.  After that I
> installed Firefox 4 from the Mozilla site and it worked.

I multiboot and sometimes run Ubuntu w/ FF 3.6.x which works with no
problem.

> I haven't upgraded to Squeeze yet, but I don't think it uses
> Iceweasel 4, however it might be included in the latest
> upgrade.  I doubt if you need the Java plugin, because the
> only thing it seems to do is stream some webcams.  I could be
> wrong about that, but it wasn't the problem in my case.
> If you don't already know, Javascript and Java are different
> applications, Javascript is included in Iceweasel and be
> turned on or off in Preferences.

I know. It's the same in FF.

> I didn't have any problem installing Firefox 4 and it has
> already updated itself to version 5.  I can post some brief
> instructions if you want to try it.

Downloaded it some time ago but couldn't see how to install it. Too used
to .debs. Instructions and/or urls would be appreciated. I would try it
as a last resort but would prefer to run iceweasel if possible.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,