Re: Iceape's inability to render sites

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 02:44:15PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 04:43:42PM -0400, Michael Checca wrote:
> >
> > If I recall correctly, the entire GCJ has been undeveloped for some
> > time now. Try installing either Sun/Oracle's Java JRE and plugin or
> > OpenJDK's JRE and plugin:
> >
> > Sun/Oracle: sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
> > 	or
> > OpenJDK: sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre icedtea6-plugin
>
> Sudo in Debian? Not unless it's specifically enabled.
>
> Unfortunately openjdk-6-jre and icedtea6-plugin didn't solve the
> problem. Thanks for trying. Anyone else?

This a expanded repost of the one where I mistakenly referred to the
browser as iceape.

I'm having trouble with Iceweasel's inability to correctly render sites
that use java. This includes my bank and broker which prevents me
from making Squeeze my primary distro. Running "locate jre" turns up
a bunch of files including gcj-4.4-jre related ones, so I assume I have
java runtime installed (I'm also *assuming* it's a java problem). I've
also tried, at various times and in various combinations, sun-java6-jre,
sun-java6-plugin, openjdk-6-jre, and icedtea6-plugin, all to no avail.
I'm beginning to wonder if this really is a java problem.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,