Re: Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 15:58:42 +1200, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> You better try with nvidia own drivers to avoid messing with
>> dependencies.
>
> Yes, I think I'll go that route.  Bit of a problem, though: the Nvidia
> installer warns me that
>
> "The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.3) does not exactly
>  match the current compiler (gcc 4.4).  The Linux 2.6 kernel module
>  loader rejects kernel modules built with a version of gcc that does not
>  exactly match that of the compiler used to build the running kernel."

That's a known problem, as others have pointed out. It is also documented
at nvidia's README, section "Compiling the NVIDIA kernel module gives
this error:"

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/275.09.07/README/commonproblems.html

> Why on Earth is the squeeze kernel image not built with the version
> squeeze version of gcc? http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gcc

Dunno, but maybe that's one of the reasons there are many versions
available for gcc in the repos.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón