Re: Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 22:46:26 +1200, Aidan Gauland wrote:

> I just upgraded my video card (from a 9400 GT to a GT 430), and when I
> booted my system, X failed to start.

Weird, unless the new card is not suported by the installed driver.

> When seeing that the Nvidia drivers in sid are the same version as
> those direct from Nvidia's website, I tried upgrading the nvidia driver
> packages on my system to the sid versions.

Why? You better try with nvidia own drivers to avoid messing with
dependencies.

> I then restarted X via sudo invoke-rc.d xdm restart, but it still
> failed to start.  Here is the error from /var/log/xdm.conf:
>
> FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
> (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages.
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

Nvidia package is build against a specific kernel version.

> So I then tried purging (and downgrading back to squeeze any packages
> that were upgraded as dependencies of) the nvidia packages and
> installing nvidia-kernel-dkms (as directed by
> <http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Use_DKMS>).  Still no joy;
> the same error.
>
> What do I need to do to use the Nvidia drivers from sid on squeeze?

(...)

You first need to find out what of the nvidia driver version supports
your VGA card and then decide what way to follow.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón