Re: Unread bug reports ?

On 25/06/11 22:28, Vecu BOSSEUR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2011/6/25 Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>:
>> On 25/06/11 03:36, Vecu BOSSEUR wrote:

<snipped>

> Okay, good remainder. Cauz' I'm French, I use the word "merde" to
> convey the same idea (in French) ; but I'm used to say that this
> (French) word is no a swear because the Genaral Cambronne coined
> himself this word at the Battle of Waterloo. It's just a culture
> clash, indeed.

No worries. I wasn't offended, I'm aware that many people are not aware
of the rule or it's reasons.

We don't make exceptions for the French. Being born in France is not a
valid handicap. We make exceptions for Australians ;-p

<snipped>

>> 1. Daniel Baumann might not work on the project full-time. He does not
>> appear to be paid for his work - so rudeness is not likely to motivate
>> him. Certainly there seems to be a lot of unresolved issues with that
>> particular project. Perhaps, if the issue is truly Debian, (not Ubuntu),
>> and you were to post the particulars here, some one might suggest a
>> solution.
>
> Maybe, with both luck and time ...
> When is used said swears, I didn't intend to be rude at all. In the
> contrary, I wanted to stress kindly the upstream maintainer and the
> package maintainer a little bit so that they take into account the
> severity of the trouble : a software package (any FuseCompress/Debian
> versions considered) announced as reliable (i.e. in stable) which
> causes serious data losses since Mathusalem, or even before !!!. Note
> that my swear was not geared against either the upstream developper or
> the package maintainer themselves, but towards the said piece of
> software.

Again, no worries. The suggestion (which is what my comment were meant
to be) were intended to help you find a solution.

<snipped.

>> You also state that you are running Ubuntu "I always use the same
>> ntfs-3g version 1:2010.8.8-0ubuntu1 ." So how is that a Debian problem.
>
> My explanations follow your point 3. just following.
>
>> 3. Why post to Ubuntu when you say the problem is Debian? Don't make it
>> more confused than it has to be. You contradict yourself and cross-post,
>> which make it more difficult to help you.
>
> The bug I reported against Ubuntu (Natty Narwhal), and the bug I
> reported against Debian (Wheezy) might not the same.
> All that I said was that they both behaved the same way : they have
> the same symptoms.

Ah - now I understand.
Please allow for my being Australian :-)

<snipped>

> You can safely consider me as a first class citizen of the comminuty
> too ; I will progress w.r.t. the language we talk, which I'm not
> familiar with (yet).
>
> Note that I'm also a contributor to our fine community.

IMO, anyone who takes the time to use Debian and is willing to keep
trying Debian when something doesn't "work out of the box" is a valuable
contributor. It's the short feedback loop between user and developer
that makes Open Source a superior development model.

>> Cheers
>>
>> --

<snipped>

> I would like to thank you for having showed me how to behave better.

Pas nécessaire, j'ai tellement de choses à apprendre. :-/
Pardon my schoolboy French.

> With much regards,
> Valentin QUEQUET

Maybe if you post the details of the first bug report here we could have
a look at it (tomorrow night).

Cheers

P.S. Though you mailed me and CCed the list, I've not emailed you. If
you wish a CC just ask

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.