Re: Accented chars in filenames issue

Scott Ferguson wrote:
Bigger hammer....

scott@work:~/spec$ touch "*" "&"
scott@work:~/spec$ ls -A
*  &
scott@work:~/spec$ rm `ls -A`
rm: cannot remove `&': No such file or directory

The first part "*" removed both files AND any other file that might have been in the directory.

#  touch \* \&
#  ls -A
*  &
#  ls -A|xargs rm
#  ls

No error there, smaller hammer ;-)

And just to show that it doesn't clear other files....

#  touch \* \& a b c
#  ls
*  &  a  b  c
#  ls -A \* \&
*  &
#  ls -A \* \&|xargs rm
#  ls
a  b  c

Just for fun, to also prove that the "*" is a problem with the other smaller hammer attempt:

#  touch \* \& a b c
#  ls
*  &  a  b  c
#  rm $(ls -A)
rm: cannot remove `&': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `a': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `b': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `c': No such file or directory
#  ls

Do I need to tell anybody that I *like* these types of problems?    LOL

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM