Re: [Ask] My screen suddenly got froze

HI Camaleón,

I've bought a cheap graphic card (ATI Radeon 9250 SE) and it fixed everything. The old graphic card (GeForce 6600LE) already broken I think. I don't have any problem with my display again. I figured it out a week ago. I'm sorry I was late to  tell you. I have a question: Is there a way for kernel  be able to tell user about hardware failure like this? I don't see any error message in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog in time between the freeze and reboot again. It just said like this, " System is restarting", or "System is shutting down". It didn't say anything about freeze state messages.

Greetings,

Marco

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 08:46:27 -0400, Morning Star wrote:

> I have a problem about my cpu. After 15 minutes or more using debian
> squeeze in KDE display manager, my screen suddenly got froze. I can't
> move my mouse's cursor and can't type anything on my keyboard. caps lock
> and num lock lamp wasn't responding. I had to reset my PC, then
> selecting the same OS to boot, and then I happened again after that. It
> happened like this: BOOT --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> RESET --> REBOOT
> --> X-SESSION --> FREEZE --> .........

(...)

When the computer freezes, try to access via ssh and see if it responds.

If you can login from ssh, the problem may reside in X server that locks
your system while if you can neither login, the problem could be in the
kernel that hard or soft locks (oops).

Is there something of interest in the system logs?

(...)

> It frequently happens after i installed my video driver using NVIDIA
> kernel module 195.36.31. When I used nouveau driver, same thing happened
> again.

You mean the same happens with either driver (open and closed)? That's
weird, it can be also a hardware problem :-?

> Is that a OS problem or hardware problem? I'm sick about this
> endless freeze. Please help me.

Just in case, try by disabling any 3D desktops effects (if any) and you
may also test with another DE, different than KDE.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón