Re: Wicd sees router but won't connect

On Wed 22 Jun 2011 at 22:35:47 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I'm trying to set up wireless on a Thinkpad T41. I'm using the ath5K
> module and this brings up wlan0 as expected. I fiddled all day with
> /etc/network/interfaces with no luck. I then tried wicd and this does
> show my router, but it won't connect. Are there any tweaks that may make
> it connect?

If you want to continue to fiddle with /e/n/i some more this is the bare
minimum to associate with the AP and get an address.

allow-hotplug ath0
iface ath0 inet dhcp
	wpa-ssid "unhidden"
	wpa-psk "double quotes if ascii/none if hex"

But remove wicd first, unless you believe it will not interfere with
ifupdown. You shouldn't need the last line.

> The router does not have encryption but broadcast of its essid is
> disabled. This does not prevent wicd from seeing it.

Why complicate things? Broadcast and be damned. Or, we hope, connected.