Re: How to stipulate default applications in GNOME

On 20/06/11 09:23, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Vi, 17 iun 11, 17:55:24, AG wrote:
Hey list

In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
default?

Case in point: I use Kmail&  Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
browser for clicking links, etc.  Icedove remembers this and
complies, but KMail keeps opening Konqueror.  I seem to recall that
there was a way I could set up a default, but don't remember the
specifics.
Since KMail is a KDE app you probably need to do the change in KDE's
control center. Check also (as root):

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

Regards,
Andrei

Andrei

Thanks - have now finally been able to get around to doing this.

Can you shine a light on why Konqueror is likely to have been assigned 100 as a priority number and how can I change that, especially since doing the update and selecting Iceape didn't change the default browser triggered from within KMail?

There are 5 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing /usr/bin/x-www-browser).

  Selection    Path                       Priority   Status
  0            /usr/bin/konqueror          100       auto mode
  1            /usr/bin/epiphany-browser   85        manual mode
* 2            /usr/bin/iceape             80        manual mode
  3            /usr/bin/iceweasel          70        manual mode
  4            /usr/bin/konqueror          100       manual mode
  5            /usr/bin/swiftfox           70        manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

I only have a few KDE apps installed - KMail, KAddressbook, Amarok, Konqueror and maybe a few KDE games, so unless I deliberately install KDE Control Center (or whatever it is called) I will have to try and adjust it via GNOME. I have already listed Iceape as my preferred browser under the GNOME preferred applications option.

Thanks for your help

AG