How to stipulate default applications in GNOME

Hey list

In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the default?

Case in point: I use Kmail & Icedove, and want Iceape as my default browser for clicking links, etc. Icedove remembers this and complies, but KMail keeps opening Konqueror. I seem to recall that there was a way I could set up a default, but don't remember the specifics.

Also, whilst on this topic, is there a centralised location in which all these kinds of commands are listed? I've looked through the wiki and cannot lay eyes on anything, but I had in mind the commands to set sun-java as the default (I do know how to do that), set default applications, etc. The wiki has the instruction on setting up flashplayer-plugin but I was hoping to find maybe a list of these tips and tricks that the seasoned veterans would know.

Any ideas?

Thanks - as always.

AG