Re: [OT] Google search default lang.

On 20/06/11 18:35, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 01:14:11PM -0300, Leandro DUTRA wrote:
>> 2011/6/19 Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Google -> language tools (under "advanced") -> preferences
>>
>> Even better, set the system???s or the user account???s language.
>
> Oh, if only it were that simple...  Most internationalized websites
> (including Google) seem to have completely given up on Accept-Language
> headers[1] in favor of relying on IP geolocation.  I'm an American expat
> living in Sweden, so my browsers are set to send

> Despite this, every time my Google cookie expires, it sends me the
> Swedish version of the page.  Setting language preferences on the client
> side does *not* work[2] for Google or most other sites.
>

> [1] apparently on the theory that "most users don't know how to set
> their preferred lanuages, so the header specifies the browser's default
> instead of the user's preference"
>
> [2] even though it damn well should

Are you sure this is not also Google's geolocation feature?
Firefox/Iceweasel => about:config => geo.enabled (double-click to disable)

Chrome => spanner_thingie => Options => Under the hood => Location => Do
not allow any site to track my physical location

You can test here:-
http://benwerd.com/lab/geo.php

There used to be are Google url that did the same thing
(www.google.com/nl or similar) I cant' remember the what it was - and
whether it still works.

Cheers