Re: Re (2): message threading

peasthope@shaw.ca writes:

> From:	lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
> Date:	Mon, 20 Jun 2011 00:54:27 +0200
>> You donA't seem to have any "References:" headers, ...
>
> Should the References trace back to the beginning of the thread?

Just look at them, they go back to beginnings of subthreads at
least. With only the In-Reply-To: header, threads would be broken for
everyone who´s missing a single message of the thread. With the
references, the thread can be displayed even when not all messages are
available.

> In principle, the list processor could copy the References from the
> referenced message and append the id of that message.  I don't know
> how it actually works.

It doesn´t work that way. How´s the MLM software supposed to know if you
refer to articles and to which ones, unless you tell it?

>> The message IA'm replying to is correctly displayed as the top of a new
>> thread.
>
> Yes, I intended to start a new thread on "message threading".  Hence
> the subject "message threading; was Re (3): QCAD Pro in Squeeze".

That´s why I´m asking. I think it´s more common to use a new subject
when starting a new thread, and it´s more common to change the subject
like you did within a thread without starting a new one. You changed the
subject as if continuing the thread and made it a new one by omitting
the references, and since the thread is about broken threading, it was
unclear whether your intention was to start a new thread or to continue
the thread with an adjusted subject.

If your MUA doesn´t add the right headers automatically, it´s time to
switch to a better one :)