Re: Almost everyday a new issue: this time Amarok

On 19/06/11 20:05, Freeman wrote:
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 07:01:07PM +0100, AG wrote:
On 19/06/11 17:41, lee wrote:
AG<computing.account@googlemail.com>   writes:

Hey list

Today a new issue reared its ugly head.  I installed, using
safe-update from the Update Manager in GNOME, on a wheezy
installation, Amarok .

When I go to run Amarok, it crashes.  This is the output:
[...]
this ... any ideas?
How about purging amarok, removing all configuration files that may be
left in your home directory and install it with aptitude?

Hi Lee

Did that and the Amrok app still crashes.

1.) testing = TESTING

If the only problem in testing right now is applications, that is a
good thing. During the squeeze testing cycle I was without adequate video
for 6 months and would have been for most of the cycle had I not held on to
old drivers for a year. And I had sound issues the lasted half of the cycle
too.

& you accepted that as okay?

Testing is one thing, but unless our Sid/ experimental colleagues are really putting up with some dire situations regarding upstream applications, then why would testing be subjected to passed along configurations that aren't fit for purpose?

2.) Amarok 2 is under heavy development right now.

The version number may look high enough but the code is a complete rewrite.

In which case, it shouldn't be passed along until such time as the relevant dependencies are fixed.
3.) Amarok is from KDE, Banshee is the official Gnome music suite.

For Amarok, make sure all the KDE dependencies are installed.

It used to work until the latest round of "safe" upgrades.

4.) There are a lot of lib dependency upgrades between 2.3.1 and 2.4.1,
looks like most in fact.

In which case I would have expected a mature package manager like apt-get or aptitude to compensate for, which is part of what they are intended to do.