Re: How to stipulate default applications in GNOME

Excerpts from AG's message of 2011-06-17 18:55:24 +0200:
> Hey list
>
> In GNOME, if the options selected under "preferred applications" for
> browsers doesn't get applied, how can I set an application to be the
> default?
>
> Case in point: I use Kmail & Icedove, and want Iceape as my default
> browser for clicking links, etc.  Icedove remembers this and complies,
> but KMail keeps opening Konqueror.  I seem to recall that there was a
> way I could set up a default, but don't remember the specifics.
>
> Also, whilst on this topic, is there a centralised location in which all
> these kinds of commands are listed?  I've looked through the wiki and
> cannot lay eyes on anything, but I had in mind the commands to set
> sun-java as the default (I do know how to do that), set default
> applications, etc.  The wiki has the instruction on setting up
> flashplayer-plugin but I was hoping to find maybe a list of these tips
> and tricks that the seasoned veterans would know.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks - as always.
>
> AG

There's the xdg stuff, developed by freedesktop.org, which is in theory
desktop independent. xdg-settings or xdg-mime is likely what you're
after. My experience with those things was rather bad though, especially
xdg-settings has a lot of DE specific stuff in it and didn't work at all
on my machine that doesn't have a DE. So it's a DE-independent CLI tool
that doesn't work without a DE running :) DE's have their own tools for
the same stuff afaik. It's a somewhat messy situation in my opinion.