Re: Cannot connect to localhost:631

On 16/06/11 23:14, Brian wrote:
On Thu 16 Jun 2011 at 20:03:14 +0100, AG wrote:

Don't know why this wasn't done automagically, but there's more that I
don't know than that which I do ... so this adds to the list.
The First Law of System Configuration says: Nobody ever remembers what
they did.

I try to defeat this Law by documenting what I do in the file being
changed or by making notes. But my nature being what it is I often fail
to carry out this strategy and, when I do, the passage of even a few
hours is enough to dim my memory considerably. A year later any
recollections have disappeared.

My point: Upgrading to Wheezy does not touch cupsd.conf because it is a
conffile. The copy you have is from your Lenny days, but is not the
default it came with. There is no magic wand for Debian to wave. But
learning about something is magic.

Hi Brian

That's a good first rule - will have to remember that.

This was a brand new install from scratch - I backed up the relevant ~/ files and then formatted the drive and installed, so this is unlikely to be an artefact, which is part of what makes this so puzzling, especially given a number of changes that were quite unexpected and flummoxed me from my experience with previous Debian installations. But, having said that, there is just so much to learn/ understand about computers in general and Debian in particular that if there is a problem with the system, the first place I usually consider is whether it is PEBCAK ... and that is usually the case!!

Thanks for your help.

Best

AG