Re: Translate user names with NFS

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Nicolas Bercher <nbercher@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> On 15/06/2011 21:17, Dan wrote:
>>
>> Therefore I am just
>> going to sync the names between the two machines. To do that I guess
>> that I just need to change the file /etc/passwd and /etc/group Should
>> I update the names somewhere else?
>
> If you have data you want to keep under /home/*/ on your various machines,
> It'll be a pain the re-affect the correct uid/usernames: changing users uid
> when you have multiple users (uid>=1000) could result in a boring task as
> you first have to move users to unused uids (say 20000, 20001, etc.) and
> then set them to the final uids you want to see on every machine (1000,
> 1001, etc.).

You need to use the option static_map. But that option is not
available in squeeze. What I understand from the post is that you have
to use the package nfs-user-server which has been removed from
squeeze.
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/nfs-user-server
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/suse-linux-internals/chapter20.html

Why not using nfs4. It will automatically make the conversion. There
is no need to syncronize the GIDs and the UIDs. You have to use the
same for the users in both machines. You have to change only
/etc/passwd, group, shadow and gshadow

You can follow this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

Dan