Re: Translate user names with NFS

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Nicolas Bercher <nbercher@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> On 15/06/2011 21:17, Dan wrote:
>>
>> Therefore I am just
>> going to sync the names between the two machines. To do that I guess
>> that I just need to change the file /etc/passwd and /etc/group Should
>> I update the names somewhere else?
>
> If you have data you want to keep under /home/*/ on your various machines,
> It'll be a pain the re-affect the correct uid/usernames: changing users uid
> when you have multiple users (uid>=1000) could result in a boring task as
> you first have to move users to unused uids (say 20000, 20001, etc.) and
> then set them to the final uids you want to see on every machine (1000,
> 1001, etc.).
>
> Nicolas

You should also make sure they're not loged in at the time, look for
files in /var/spool and /tmp/, etc. Tools such as ssh-agents that live
in /tmp/ will wind up with interesting uid issues, and processes that
are running and active as that user may have interesting issues as
well.

*THIS* is why it's so much more robust to set up your uid's and gid's
well in advance and consistently across a network, and keep them out
of the lower, auto-assigned ranges.