Re: /etc/hosts in debian resets itself on reboot

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 10:11:51 +0200, Claudius Hubig wrote:

> Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Note the word database missing after 127.0.0.1 without the database, and
>>I have to manually change the file to get things to work. This has been
>>happening for awhile and has become a nuisance, but I can't seem to find
>>a way to get changes to stick. Anyone know what to do?
>
> Do you happen to have Network Manager or something similiar running? It
> does have some strange ideas wrt the 127.0.0.1-line. Otherwise, I’d
> suspect your hosts’ script doing strange stuff, as it already seems to
> be tampering with your /etc/hosts (# Auto-generated hostname. Please do
> not remove this comment.).

And this user agrees with that:

Why is my hosts file reseting on reboot?
http://superuser.com/questions/52973/why-is-my-hosts-file-reseting-on-reboot

So I can only think in a DNS server or an external policy coming from the
provider that is enforcing the content of the "/etc/hosts" file. But I
would better ask them before making any change.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón