Re: /etc/hosts in debian resets itself on reboot

Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:21 AM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
>>> I've been having a problem where when our vps provider decides to
>>> restart the server (running Debian 5.0.8), the server fails to
>>> remember changes to /etc/hosts. All I need is an database alias that
>>> is used for the webapps on the server which points to
>>> localhost.
>> I don't know what keeps overwriting your file, but I assume it actually
>> just re-writes a single line for localhost. Try adding a new line
>> pointing to "database" like this and see if that persists:
>> database
>NM adds a line associating the DHCP-assigned address with the box's
>hostname. The line doesn't change.

It also adds the hostname of the machine read from /etc/hosts to
the ::1 and lines, although that is not a FQDN. I placed a
file /etc/hosts.real and rewrite /etc/hosts on every occasion NM had
reason to tamper with it (startup, connection to a new network,
shutdown etc.).

Best regards,

Power, n.:
	The only narcotic regulated by the SEC instead of the FDA.
Please use GPG: ECB0C2C7 4A4C4046 446ADF86 C08112E5 D72CDBA4
http://chubig.net/ http://nightfall.org