Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 15:55 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 June 2011 15:16:38 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > And there are billions of users who tried to switch from Windows to
> > Linux just regarding to ethical reasons or better software regarding to
> > their needs and they all need to use Windows, because the Linux
> > community don't care about people who only wish to use a tool like
> > Linux.
>
> Ubuntu is part of the Linux community, as is OpenSUSE, as is I understand
> Mandriva, as are several netbook OSes (e.g. Linpus Lite <shudder>), as
> is.....
>
> But Debian has made a policy decision to have only free software in its main
> repository.  Moreover, I would say that on the whole Debian appeals to people
> who like to tinker, and do not like being told, in a manner that I at least
> find patronising, what to do.
>
> Many people do not like Debian's philosophy and do not use Debian.  That
> choice is open to you as to everyone else.  If you are using Debian, you must
> have made a conscious choice to do so.  If you now find that you don't like
> its philosophy, then by all means change to a distro whose philosophy chimes
> with yours.
>
> Lisi

OpenSuse and Ubuntu are on my machine too, there things are much more
worse than for Debian. Much more folderol as there is for Debian. I
wonder that for Debian there still is folderol as this odd script.