Re: Adobe flash sound issues

On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 14:01 +0300, John Kapnogiannis wrote:
> I got an annoying problem with flash sound. On some services (eg
> Grooveshark) I hear scratches and deformities during playback. The actuall
> track is heard on the background though. I have flash installed through the
> flashplugin-nonfree packages. The problem even exists on Google Chrome,
> which is supposed to use a flash installation of its own. As far as I know
> flash version is not the latest. I am using Debian testing on a Dell Studio
> 1555 laptop with kde and alsa.

I guess that you are using amd64 and that the problem you are seeing is due to
a difference in the memcpy implementation in libc6.

Could you try to run iceweasel or chromium in the following way:

    $ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc/memcpy-preload.so /usr/bin/iceweasel
    $ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc/memcpy-preload.so /usr/bin/chromium

You can find details about this in /usr/share/doc/libc6/README.Debian.gz and I
would suggest to create a little shell script like the following:

    --- snip ---
    #!/bin/sh
    LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc/memcpy-preload.so /usr/bin/iceweasel
    --- snip ---

and place is somewhere in your PATH (~/bin comes to mind) if that does indeed
solve the problem. Note that the path to memcpy-preload.so will change to a
multiarch conforming one in the next libc6 version that will hit wheezy. You
can then find it in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc/memcpy-preload.so - but you
will be automatically informed about this is you have apt-listchanges
installed. If you don't install it and apt-listbugs with it. :)

I recommend reading the bug report on RedHat's bugtracker, it is worth your
time if you want to understand what is going on here.
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <babilen@gmail.com>
 : :'  :