Re: Configuring Iceweasel security policies.

On 11/06/11 06:24, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> After reading http://kb.mozillazine.org/Security_Policies
> add these four lines to dalton:/etc/iceweasel/pref/iceweasel.js .
>
> // Allow my file URI to be opened.
> user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks");
> user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkloaduri.enabled", "allAccess");
> user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites", "http://peter@members.shaw.ca:80";);

Now that's confusing me too! I've never had to modify anything to get a
web browser to load local files.... or to load links from local files
either to local links or online links.

> # From: Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com>
> # Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:31:08 +1000
>> Soft links'll work fine.
>
> OK, dalton:/Category2.html is now a soft link to /home/peter/Category2.html.
>
> At dalton open
>   http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links
> and click on the link file:///Category2.html .

I don't think that will work - for it to work *I* would have to have a
file called Category2.html in my / directory....

(mea culpa) As usual I've explained myself poorly.
Judging from the apache modules:-

members.shaw.ca gives you an account for peasthope - in your home
directory is a directory called public_html which is the root of webserver.
eg. /home/peasthope/public_html
You are probably free to create other directories beneath your home
eg. /home/peasthope/stuff
You have something you'd like to link to from webpage - the webpage
lives somewhere in public_html.
eg. /home/peasthope/public_html/index.html
Normally I would only serve files that live beneath public_html, and I
would/do use additional directories to make content management easier
(with static sites), using .htaccess files in each directory to control
what can be accessed.
Occasionally I might put some files in /home/peasthope/stuff and
soft-link them into public_html, just temporarily for testing purposes.
In your case you might be able to use that technique. You should then be
able to use LDAP to access the files in /home/peasthope/stuff - as long
as you don't change the name of the files, the soft-links will continue
to work as you change files.

Probably best if I reread your posts tomorrow when I'm less distracted -
I'm not sure I fully understand what you require.

> This message comes to the Iceweasel error console.
> Security Error: Content at http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/#Links may not load or link to file:///Category2.html.
>
> Appears that the instructions for the Mozilla security policies are for the case
> where both the file URI link comes from the same machine as the browser runs on.
>
> Any better ideas to configure for my case where the file URI link is in
> members.shaw.ca/peasthope and the browser is on dalton?

You can't. That I know of. The link cannot be relative. I can't think of
how to use an absolute link across your network (firewall, network
protocols etc).

Need. more. coffee. will read the referenced mozillazine...

> Thanks,                ... Peter E.

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.