Re: Gnome desktop settings borked on testing after reboot

On 09/06/11 19:00, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 06/09/2011 12:38 PM, AG wrote:
Hi all

Having just rebooted after an uptime of 7 days, I have logged into my
Gnome DE to find that all of my settings for the desktop have been
borked and the desktop is close to unfunctional.

These are some of the issues:
1. Windows manager is "unknown" and no configuration tool is registered
2. windows are launched at the top of the screen & I cannot drag these
elsewhere
3. clicking a mouse on a window does not bring it to the fore
4. there are no longer multiple workspaces
5. windows do not have the 'x' in the corner to close, nor any option to
minimise/ enlarge
6. a screensaver launches after ~30 seconds of inactivity (I don't use a
screensaver)
7. no key mapping exists

Both metacity and nautilus are the most current versions. No other
user-based changes made to configuration except for whatever gets
configured in safe updates using update-manager.

Can anyone please help - I really do need a usable desktop environment
to work in.

Did you shut down cleanly?

Does ~/.gnome2 still exist?  What are the timestamps on it's files?

Do you boot directly into GNOME or enter it using startx?

Hi Ron

Yes I shut down/ rebooted cleanly - or at least as I've always done so.

Yes gnome2 still exists, but I cannot find any timestamps anywhere.

I boot into gdm3 and then login

Cheers

AG