Re: No Display Manager + shutdown/reboot

On 06/07/11 at 11:06am, Perry Thompson wrote:
> On 06/07/2011 05:32 AM, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 07 Jun 2011 at 01:46:49 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> 1) shutdown my computer by pressing the power button, and
> >
> > You might need xfce4-power-manager for this but I'm not sure.
> >
> >> 2) choose "Shut Down" or "Restart" after pressing ctrl+alt+del (I made a
> >> custom keyboard shortcut to call xfce4-session-logout). Both "Shut Down"
> >> and "Restart" are grayed out, but "Log Out" works fine.
> >
> > Install sudo. Use vigr to add yourself to the sudo group.
> >

> I have xfce4-power-manager and am in the sudoers list. This worked
> before when I had GDM, but not when I was without a DM or when I tried
> Slim or NODM. I have not been able to get this to work in any of those
> three situations.

"in the sudoers list" is a bit vague. Do you have the ability to run anything with sudo without password (not that I am recommending this at all)?
Does xfce-session-logout know to run the shutdown command with sudo? Perhaps you should modify your custom keyboard shortcut to call sudo xfce4-session-logout instead.

When run from a DM, these programs would have root permissions to shut down and reboot your computer. You need to give those permissions back somehow, and sudo seems the easiest way.

--
Liam