Re: New Guy asks: I want to run Squeeze, except for a few particular things...

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to run the stable distribution--Squeeze--except I need newer
> versions of some key programs I use in my work, like LyX and R.  And
> since the kernel included with Squeeze crashes when I unplug the USB
> headset, I need to run a newer kernel that has a patch for that
> problem.   (I'm afraid of testing because it does not appear it ever
> pauses for a "snapshot."  If Debian testing had "freeze points" like
> "Fedora 14" or "Ubuntu 11.04" or such, I would probably run testing.
> But testing never pauses for a mostly working snapshot. Right?)

If you only need a few key programs,one approach is to  follow these steps.

* Set up a local download repository from the updated site. This
provides source material.

* Create a local repository with only those components, using the
"apt-ftparchive" tool in it.

* Modify your various hosts /etc/apt/sources.list to pick that local repository.

Volila, you have local control of a set of components that you can
review on a monthly basis and test for updates, or for locally built
components, or for backports or individual third party components
without pulling constantly from their sites. In fact, if you have more
than, say, a dozen hosts, it's very handy to have that *one* host pull
from an upstream mirror with apt-mirror and point your local hosts to
that local repository for local system building.

This approach also allows staging of security updates: lock your local
mirrors to a release date, deploy from *that*, and update them with a
bundled release mirror. It allows centralized control of your releases
and limits *access* to the comonents you've vetted as production ready
for your particular environment. It's also a way to help discourage
access to undesired components.