Re: New Guy asks: I want to run Squeeze, except for a few particular things...

On 2011-06-02 15:41:22 Paul Johnson wrote:
>I want to run the stable distribution--Squeeze--except I need newer
>versions of some key programs I use in my work, like LyX and R.

http://www.iguanasuicide.net/node/4

Using pinning, it's fairly easy to tell APT to keep as much as possible from
stable, and whatever you don't pull from stable to continue pulling it from
the same repository (as, e.g., security updates are available).

Now, this isn't officially supported, so if you do encounter bugs, you may
need to replicate in a "cleaner" system before they get much attention.

My guide hasn't been updated in a while, but it should help point you in the
right direction(s).