Re: cgroup OOM killer loop causes system to lockup (possible fix included)

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 21:03 +0100, Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]
wrote:
> More strangeness..
>
> If I keep the kernel module loaded, but disable the entry
> in /etc/network/interfaces for eth0, the oom_adj problem disappears.
> But then ofc, I'm left with no network interface. I then tried
> binding /etc/ssh/sshd_config to only listen on 127.0.0.1.. effectively
> bypassing the eth0 interface, whilst still allowing it to be loaded.
> But the problem still happens.
[...]

My guess is that sshd tries to protect itself against the OOM-killer so
that you can still log in to a system that has gone OOM.  If there is no
network available, it doesn't do this because you cannot log in remotely
anyway.

The bug seems to be that sshd does not reset the OOM adjustment before
running the login shell (or other program).  Therefore, please report a
bug against openssh-server.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings