Re: Convert .doc to Open editable format

On 05/30/2011 02:28 AM, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
Hi all!

Currently I'm making the Final University Project and I've found that
the templates provided by teachers for the reports are in Microsoft Word
format. It is sad to note that encourages the use of a closed-format for
something that should mean a contribution to humanity...

When trying to open these documents with Ooo 2.x on Debian, headers are
displayed incorrectly or there is another problem in how to interpret
any other details of the layout of the document.

I was testing with tools on the web, but I noticed that with several of
them are seen the same mistakes when converting from DOC to PDF or ODT,
which makes me think that maybe to open the Word document they are using
the same engine type.

Only this [1] seems to convert correctly to PDF. Given this half, I was
missing the other half to convert a PDF to ODT, but unfortunately so far
I did not find something that meets my expectations. I tested this [2]
extension with OOo 3.2 on Debian, but it seems that this does not create
a normal text editable document, but some type of picture with text
boxes.

Are there some tools that can be recommend me to do this kind of
conversion (DOC ->  ODT) with or without intermediate steps?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://docupub.com/pdfconvert/
[2] http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport
have you tried opening it with google docs and saving as odt ?