Re: Installing Debian with debootstrap

On 05/27/11 at 10:18pm, Aniruddha wrote:
> I would like to install Debian using Deboostrap following these
> instructions: http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en
> . However I do have a few questions about some parts in the manual:
>
> * What is the preferred method for creating /dev files? MAKEDEV
> generic,  mount -o bind /dev or another method?
> * Or can I just reboot and let udev fill /dev?

Depends on your use. Binding your existing dev is useful if you want to chroot into your new install and play with it without rebooting, perhaps for app configuration, etc. If you're going to reboot into it and have no need to modify it beforehand, udev (if installed) will work as you suggest, or you can MAKEDEV/mknod as needed for a minimal install without udev.

> * Instead of using dpkg-reconfigure locales, which config files do I
> need to edit manually?

man locales, dpkg -L locales

> * Instead of using dpkg-reconfigure console-data, which config files
> do I need to edit manually?

man console-data, dpkg -L console-data

--
Liam