Re: Gnome start menu on ubuntu

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:17 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
>> I installed ubuntu 11.04 on an HP netbook. Everything works great (even the
>> bt43 WiFi wasn't that bad) except the start (ubuntu) menu (and I'm not crazy
>> about the quick launch bar or it being on the left). How do I get a "normal"
>> start menu?
>
> One way to solve this issue is to install Debian [0] and another would be to
> ask on an Ubuntu mailing list. [1] I would recommend the former, but you might
> prefer the latter.

heh, so my first thought was right - it would seem to be a ubuntu
themeing issue. i haven't tried to install the netbook edition. i also
won't be able to since i'm now a thousand miles from it... hopefully
the ubuntu mailing list will have a package i can install that might
resolve this (hopefully i'll be able to give decent gui'ish
instructions)

i went with ubuntu instead of debian because of the ui extension
things they add. ie, plug in an iphone and a message pops up asking if
a rythombox iirc package can be installed to help manage the music -
stuff like that. i don't think this happens with debian? (i use debian
exclusively for servers so i wouldn't get any of those popups :)

> That being said: I would be surprised if your login manager (e.g. gdm3)
> wouldn't allow you to choose a different session. You are looking for the
> Gnome session, not the unity one.

i was thinking i was looking for something 'gnome' or 'gtk' but i
don't know what unity does, so guess the sun shines on a dogs ass some
days :)