Re: CUPS Driver for Epson Stylus NX420 printer?

On Sat, 21 May 2011 09:54:49 +0200, Klistvud wrote:

> Dne, 20. 05. 2011 19:43:21 je dave boland napisal(a):
>

>> This is a little off your topic, but I have an Epson (C88) as well, and
>> wish that CUPS/driver supported ink levels, head cleaning and
>> alignment,
>> and duplexing (the Epson Windows driver supports this with 2-pass
>> printing).  Any reason they are not supported?
>
> How's this for a reason: Epson not giving a rodent's undertail for their
> non-Windows users?

Or that no one has developed such tool because of "n" (replace "n" with
your preferred argument, like "no man power, lack of resources, my dog
ate my homework, etc...).

I say this because sometimes is not a matter of "open" drivers.

For example, the HP laserjet printers we have at the office are
Postscript so I had no problems to configure them in debian machines but
the postscript driver performance in linux is miles away of its windows
counterparts. Printing a PDF full of graphics and raster images is very,
very, very slow in linux (and I say nothing if I had to increase the
resolution up to 1200 ppp). Printing from windows to the same printer
using the PS driver is just slow but acceptable.

So, what happens here? Same printer, open specification, open drivers and
minutes of difference in getting the same job to print? ;-)

> Personally, I stick to a simple policy: I don't support (i.e. buy from)
> vendors who don't support Linux. Keeps me out of a *lot* of trouble.

Not an easy task... most of the manufacturers are very conservative when
it comes to linux support. Sure, they can fully support "some" devices
but not "all" and the user has to carefully look for a concrete printer
model and not just say: "hey, this brand is linux-friendly, I'll buy its
products".

I prefer stick to the standards more than manufacturers. While normative
lasts longer, companies can fall -or change their mind- in one day :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón