Re: login as root to GUI

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:52:42PM +0200, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> Thanks for correcting me, it's good to know it if the firewall allows
> connections from the outside. Otherwise the security risk seems pretty low,
> or am I missing something juicy here ?

Well, it depends on the specifics of your firewall: but a firewall is not a
substitute for tying down your services and access controls properly.  Debian
does not have an iptables-based firewall enabled by default.

An X client can read and write to your keyboard buffer, clipboard and read your
mouse events.  Opening your X up to a third party essentially gives them
control over your computer.

--
Jon Dowland