Re: Automounting USB drives

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 08:30:04AM -0400, Matt Harrison wrote:
> I recently did a base install and then installed a handful of packages
> to get myself X and Openbox running on my system using XFE for my file
> manager.  I am running into an issue where when I plug my external
> (NTFS) hard drive in to my machine, it is not automounting like it
> would if I had XFCE installed first.  I added my user to the plugdev
> group and I can manually mount it.  However, I would like to have it
> automount again without having an entry in /etc/fstab.
>
> Is there a volume manager I can install outside of the DE environment
> to get this working again?  I have been searching for a couple of days
> now but I have not found anything yet.

Pcmanfm (a file manager) allows you to mount and unmount volumes by
clicking on them.  It's not automatic, but it's very easy.

I see "gnome-volume-manager" in the repositories.  Maybe it's possible
to install that w/o installing most of gnome?  You'd have to edit your
.config/openbox/autostart.sh file to make sure it runs on login.

-Rob